Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Truth in Having Fun


The Truth in Having Fun
by Raven Usher
I was watching a brand new episode of one of my favorite irreverent comedies when one of the main characters turned to another and said, “It’s fun being me. Is it fun being you?”
“Yes it is,” came the reply.
I know that I was only watching a sit-com. It is just a television show designed to entertain and make me laugh. Profound thought is not the goal of sit-coms. Yet, in humor we find many of the truths in life.
Is it fun being you? I find that to be a deeply profound question that threatens with answers that could have a deep effect on every aspect of personal living. A “yes” answer will heighten your joy and be quite a boost to your self esteem. A “no” answer will lead to introspection and prompt you to think about the changes you can make so that you can answer yes.
Is it fun being Raven Usher?
Well now... there is a question. On one hand, I have a rather easy life. My wife provides for all my financial cares. I get to spend the majority my days with my children. I have friends. I have hobbies that fulfill me. And I know that I am truly loved.
On the other hand, my wife’s career takes her on many out-of-state business trips that leave me alone for long periods of time. My youngest child has started school and the house feels oppressive to me when it is empty. I have responsibilities that make hard demands on my time and energy. And I know that by living as a transsexual I am a target for hatred and violence.
These are the realities of Raven’s World.
It is quite a balancing act. But if you take stock of your own lives, I am sure you will come up with similar off-setting aspects. The trick to the balancing act is to minimize the negatives while maximizing the positives. (No this is not a marketing lecture.)
Yes I am a target for hatred, but I counter that by targeting hatred right back. I speak out against it. I draw it into the light where it can be seen in all its ugliness. I combat hatred in any way I am able. As far as violence goes... I am an ex-marine. Bring it on if you feel strong.
I do not, will not, live my life in fear despite having reasons to do so. Why? They are stupid reasons that do not deserve my attention. Just because someone wants me to be scared or feel bad does not mean I am going to do it. Someone wants to send me a hate e-mail? Fine. I am going to publish his e-mail address. And I am going to laugh about it! That is the kind of bitch I am.
The truth is, I enjoy my life. I enjoy being a kept woman. I enjoy the time I have with my kids. I enjoy the pastimes I have when my kids are away from me. I enjoy living up to my responsibilities. I enjoy standing up, standing out and being seen so that everyone knows that I and other people like me exist. And I really enjoy screwing with, and laughing at, the morons who think their little-brained hatred can cause me any kind of discomfort what so ever.
Back to answer Denny Crane’s question. “Is it fun being you?”
Yes! It is a hell of a lot of fun being me.
Now go out and make it fun to be you. I know you can do it. And that is the truth. No joke.
Blessed Be.

No comments: