Tuesday, March 13, 2007

1-800-Get-A-Job


1-800-Get-A-Job
by Raven Usher
In April’s edition of “Raven’s World,” I briefly explored the idea of re-entering the work force. It has been an intimidating prospect. After more than five years of staying home with the kids, my comfort zone has changed dramatically. As a housewife I do not have to answer to supervisor. I am my own boss. I do not have to watch a time clock. I do my chores when I want to and if I decide to let it slide for a day it does not matter. I am the boss and all the people here do it my way.
More than that, being a housewife has given me a refuge from bigotry, discrimination and random acts of hatred. I have been exceedingly lucky that I did not have the extra added stress of transitioning on the job. No matter how inclusive and protective an employer’s corporate policies are, the hardships of a workplace transition are going to happen.
Supervisors who have a personal problem with a TG employee may get even more unreasonable when they do not have the option of getting rid of the employee and make the work environment inhospitable. Other employees are going to express their opinions in ways that make it uncomfortable to work alongside them. During the androgyny stage of transition the customers will notice and react, possibly effecting the employee’s ability to perform the job productively. Any of these, and countless more, can be used in underhanded tactics to get rid of the TG employee.
I have also been very lucky in that my wife has a career that allows the household to operate without a second source of income. I did not have to face workplace hardships against my will because I was dependant on the cash flow. That was a HUGE deal. Being transgendered can be very expensive. The loss of a job can be a huge setback in the transition time frame not to mention the havoc it can wreak on living conditions and personal finances.
I did put in one application merely for the sheer fun of it. I just wanted to be able to say that I did it. I went down and put in an application as a Hooter’s Girl. I never heard back from them. But since I do not have any waitress experience at all, that did not come as a surprise. Who knows? Maybe in another year I will try again. Would that not be too funny if I got that position?
The truth is, I am glad I did not get that job. Besides having not wanting to contend with punching a clock, I did not think that such a fast-paced, high stress job would be right for my first job back in the work force. Working with the general public was not a concern. I have always been good at dealing with people. But the “hurry-up faster” pace of working at a restaurant would be overwhelming.
So... what I was looking for was a slower paced job that would allow me to set my own schedule and let me to work independently in an environment that made me feel comfortable. Does that sound like a tall order?
Well, it was.
I do not know how many times I have thanks the Gods for the internet. It really is a TG’s best friend. It helped me find friends and support groups, information on meds and treatments, doctors and services, apparel and shoes... everything. I freaking love the internet!
Now, once again, the internet has provided me with the solution I needed. I have found, applied for and accepted a job. I set my own schedule. I am my own supervisor. I work in a place where I am completely comfortable. The other employees have already become friends. The customers are happy with my service. And the company if fully accepting and supportive of me being transsexual. I have hit the honey pot!
It is a customer service job. I work on-line and with a telephone. And I do it from the comfort of my own home. I post advertisements on line to draw customers to the business. Then when the customers finds what they like, they call a toll-free number. Their calls are routed to me and I process their orders. It is so simple I can not believe they pay me to do it. I have gotten very lucky in yet another step of my transition process.
The point is that there are accepting and supportive companies out there where a TG can find gainful employment. All you have to do is look for them. Do not let the fear of losing a job interfere you living a happy, healthy life. Yes, the search may be more difficult than most. But that is the pure essence of transgendered life. More difficult, yes. But also more rewarding.
So work, earn and be productive. The world is out there for the taking. Reach out and grab your piece.
Blessed Be.

No comments: