Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Pinocchio's Sister


Pinocchio’s Sister
By Raven Usher
Transsexuals are not the only people who endure hormone therapy. There are a lot of reasons why someone might start a hormone therapy regiment. Older women take estrogen to relieve the symptoms of menopause. Younger women take it after having a hysterectomy to stave off early menopause. Men often take testosterone after having their testicles removed as a treatment for testicular cancer. And that special stuff that grows hair… loaded with testosterone. And there are plenty more reasons.
One thing that everyone who goes through hormone therapy has in common is that we all focus mainly on the physical aspects of taking them. We think about the benefits that get us what we want. To a lesser extent, we think about the possible side effects and health risks. One thing that we never really think about, or do not understand fully, is the effect hormones have on our emotional states.
Hormones have a profound effect on our emotions. When we first start taking hormones it sets our emotional states completely off kilter. It takes months to regain an emotional equilibrium. And even then, we end up with a whole new emotional balance. Love, sorrow, anger, fear… we feel them all differently than we did before hormone therapy. They are stronger, more intense.
Yes, you feel like a fool when you burst into tears watching a car insurance commercial. And the looks you get at the service counter when you enthusiastically cash in your $2 scratch off ticket can be irritating. So irritating that by the time you get to the parking lot you are so angry at all those morons who were judging you that you want to drive your brand new SUV through those ugly glass doors and run down every one of those jealousy laden wish-they-were-you losers!
OK, so hormones make you a lot more sensitive.
The point is, that it is not a bad thing. Being able to feel your emotions more in a more intense way does shake you up at first. But once you adjust, it is a wonderful thing. Yes I cry at the occasional greeting card. But it feels good to express those emotions and it gives me an excuse to wander down that isle. And yes, I have the occasional mood swing that would make a pregnant woman stare in disbelief. But when everything swings back into place they can provide a good laugh.
I began taking hormones for the completely selfish reason of achieving their physical effects on my body. I have fully accepted the risks of taking them. I endure the unpleasant side effects they cause such as hot flashes that allow me to pop a pan of jiffy pop just by holding it. And I exalt in the unexpected benefits that make my life better on every level.
Sometimes I become awash in the uncontrollable emotional earthquake of an irrational mood swing. Sometimes the tears flow like flood water from a cloudless sky. Sometimes I feel like Pinocchio’s little wooden sister begging some starlight fairy to please let me be a real girl. But even when all that happens, I know deep I my heart that I have done the right thing by starting hormone therapy.
I know I did the right thing because the good emotions are amplified as well. The love I feel for my kids is heightened. The joy I share with my wife is more enveloping. The bond between myself and my parents is closer and stronger. The satisfaction I get when the new issue of Diversity hit’s the stands fills me more. And the peace I have found with myself continues to grow.
I am not, by any means, suggesting that anyone should run out and start a hormone regiment just for their emotional effect. Hormone therapy can be dangerous. Anyone who has a valid reason to take them needs to consult with a doctor to assess the risks to personal health. But you should not be afraid of them either. Taking hormones is the best thing I have ever done for myself.
We all have to decide for ourselves what the best path in life is for us. If hormones are part of your path, be smart about them. Consult a doctor. Be aware of the risks. And enjoy what they do for you. I sure as hell do.
Blessed Be

No comments: